Henderson, Nevada is a wonderful place to live. Situated in the sunny Las Vegas Valley, this progressive city offers residents a higher quality of life with incredible parks, trails, master-planned communities, and a patriotic past. The city was recognized as one of America’s Best Places to Live (MONEY and Liveability.com), one of America’s Best Cities (Business Week), one of the safest cities in America (Forbes, InsuranceProviders.com, Law Street Media, Movato.com), and a Bicycle Friendly Community (League of American Bicyclists). Henderson is a vibrant place that so many love to call home.
The right Green Card lawyer or citizenship lawyer in Henderson, NV can help you live and work in the United States as well as enjoy the many benefits of becoming a citizen. Parikh & Prasad, PC offers expertise in immigration law and experience walking clients through each step of the application process.
What is a Green Card?
Having a Green Card, or a Permanent Resident Card, will allow you to live and work permanently in the U.S. Depending on your individual situation, the steps you must take to apply will vary, so it is important to have a trusted professional on your side.
General Application Process for a Green Card
The general application process that most applicants will go through to apply for a Green Card is as follows:
- Someone files an immigrant petition for you (often referred to as sponsoring or petitioning for you). You may be eligible to file for yourself in certain cases.
- After USCIS approves the immigrant petition, and there is a category-specific visa available, you will file either a Green Card application with USCIS or a visa application with the U.S. Department of State.
- You provide fingerprints, photos, and a signature at a biometrics appointment.
- You go to an interview.
- You receive a decision on your Green Card application.
What is Citizenship?
The U.S. is a nation not bound by race or religion, but by freedom, liberty, and equality. Citizenship is the common thread connecting all Americans that provides many benefits and responsibilities. Choosing to apply with the help of an experienced citizenship lawyer in Henderson demonstrates your commitment to this country.
Benefits of Becoming a U.S. Citizen
Becoming a citizen allows you the right to:
- Vote – Only U.S. citizens can vote in federal elections and most state elections.
- Serve on a Jury – Only U.S. citizens can serve on a federal jury and most states restrict jury service to citizens.
- Travel with a U.S. Passport – This enables assistance from the U.S. government when overseas.
- Bring Family to the U.S. – Citizens get priority when petitioning to bring family members to the country permanently.
- Obtain Citizenship for Children under 18 – A child born abroad to a U.S. citizen is automatically a citizen in most cases.
- Apply for Federal Jobs – Citizenship allows you to apply for certain jobs with government agencies.
- Become an Elected Official – Only citizens can run for federal office and for most state/local offices.
- Keep your Residency – Your right to remain in the U.S. cannot be taken away.
- Become Eligible for Federal Grants and Scholarships – U.S. citizens enjoy access to many financial aid grants including college scholarships and funds given by the government for specific purposes.
- Obtain Government Benefits – Some benefits are only available to citizens.
Expectations for U.S. Citizens
All citizens of the United States are expected to exercise and respect the following rights and responsibilities:
- Freedom to express yourself.
- Freedom to worship as you wish.
- Right to a prompt, fair trial by jury.
- Right to vote in elections for public officials.
- Right to apply for federal employment requiring U.S. citizenship.
- Right to run for elected office.
- Freedom to pursue “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.”
- Support and defend the Constitution.
- Stay informed of the issues affecting your community.
- Participate in the democratic process.
- Respect and obey federal, state, and local laws.
- Respect the rights, beliefs, and opinions of others.
- Participate in your local community.
- Pay income and other taxes honestly, and on time, to federal, state, and local authorities.
- Serve on a jury when called upon.
- Defend the country if the need should arise.
Schedule a Consultation with a Citizenship & Green Card Lawyer
Parikh & Prasad, PC is a boutique immigration law firm that represents individuals, corporations, non-profits, educational institutes, and small businesses in multiple practice areas. The firm will partner with you to develop strategies unique to your situation as you apply for permanent residency or citizenship. Our experienced attorneys understand how to efficiently navigate the complex world of U.S. immigration. Schedule a consultation with a citizenship lawyer or a Green Card lawyer in Henderson, NV today!